Friday, July 29, 2011

MEXICAN CRAB ENCHILADA BRUNCH

CRAB & EGG ENCHILADA

This was a complete experiment.  We got up late one Sunday (well, we actually were up at 5:30 to walk the dog and give our diabetic cat his insulin shot, and then went back to bed), and were hungry for something a bit different for brunch.  Larry remembered we had some left over crab from two days ago from a recipe we tried and we had left over corn tortillas from making pork enchiladas for the freezer, so he started with that and from there it became a 'clean out the fridge' recipe.  

Now, Larry is not one for 'fishy' tasting things and Elizabeth is not overly fond of scrambled eggs, so we  tossed a couple of ideas out the window, and just started looking for leftover foods and going from there.  Here's what came about:
RECIPE
(Please improvise on amounts and ingredients.)

Chopped onion (I had 1/2 of a medium onion left over and chopped it.)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1 semi-ripe tomato (or just about any tomato from the grocery store.  Don't use one of the really good ones from your local farmers' market, unless that's all you have) seeded then coarsely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
hot sauce to taste (5 - 6 drops)
3/4 cup crab meat 
4 corn tortillas
1 cup coarsely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 can mild enchilada sauce
1 can re-fried beans
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to300 °.

Place about 1 tablespoon butter in a 10" non-stick pan.  Melt.  Add onions and cumin seed and saute about ten minutes until onion is soft.  Add chopped tomato.  Cook 5 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Add chili powder and hot sauce to eggs and lightly beat.  Place corn tortillas on a cooking sheet and spray each side of the tortillas.  Place in oven for three minutes, remove and turn oven up to 350°.

Pour eggs into vegetable mixture, add crab meat.  Cook until eggs are well set, turning gently several times.

Spoon egg mixture onto warm tortillas and fold each side in.  Lay folded side down in oven proof serving dishes.  Pour enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with a bit of the cheese.  Place in oven for 10 to 15 minutes until bubbling.

Heat re-fried beans in microwave for 2 -3 minutes.

Remove enchiladas from oven, sprinkle with chopped cilantro.  Put a generous spoonful of beans on the plate, top with a bit of cheese and some cilantro.  We served it with some frozen grapes.

Serves 4 lightly or 2 servings for a hearty brunch or dinner.


  




4 comments:

  1. OH is this going to be AWESOMELY delicious or what!!!!!! I read this and headed out to the Sam's Club here to get some crab meat! I'm sure there are other places where I can get it but I knew Sam's carried fresh seafood down here (I buy their salmon regularly). Well, fresh for Kansas unless there's a crab farm somewhere I don't know about.

    Will be back with a review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about worlds colliding. When I told my wife about this recipe she just stared at me like a goat stares at a fence. I guess tradition dictates that if it's not beef or chicken it's not really an enchilada. So going in I knew it was going to be tough to overcome a skeptic. I should've just tricked her and said it was chicken like my mom did to me many, many years ago when she told me the shrimp curry was really chicken. Needless to say I can't get enough of shrimp till this day LOL!

    As for the dish itself, I enjoyed it and I'm glad you pointed out that it was using mild enchilada sauce instead of the regular stuff I have in the cabinets. I forgot about the hot sauce but in my case I don't think I would've missed it because I hardly use it in any of my dishes. I really loved using the corn tortillas though! I usually use wheat but the corn was a whole lot crispy and crunchier, making it a perfect compliment to the crab meat.

    I love meals that don't feel like meals, and this like the tart was a whole lot leaner and healthier than what I'm used to putting into my system. Not to mention quicker to make too, which is always a plus in my book.

    Thank you for experimenting and sharing. This was two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tempts me to go off my diet!! Would the Baja friend be moi?? I vaguely remember making the tasty bread cooked on the grill, turning it into a yeasty, crispy delight! Had forgotten how to make it, but now it all comes back! LOVE your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Baja friend would be you. We are so glad you enjoy the blog! Please keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete